- Tan, Jia. 2023. Digital Masquerade: Feminist Rights and Queer Media in China. New York: New York University Press. Book monograph.[https://nyupress.org/9781479811847/digital-masquerade/] You can purchase the book through the NYU Press website and receive a 30% discount by using the promo code TAN30-FM.
- Tan, Jia. forthcoming. “Chinese Feminist and Queer Activism Against Gender-based Violence” in Routledge Companion to Gender, Media & Violence, edited by Karen Boyle and Susan Berridge. (under contract with Routledge).
- Chan, Sam Lik, Jia Tan, and Elija Cassidy. 2023. “Introduction” Special Issue of “Queer Cultures in Digital Asia”. International Journal of Communication. 2455-2462. https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/21105
- Wang, Yiming and Jia Tan. 2023. “Participatory Censorship and Digital Queer Fandom: The Commercialization of Boys’ Love Culture in China”. International Journal of Communication. 2554–2572. https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/19802
- Tan, Jia. 2022. “Materializing the animist landscape: The cinema-ecology complex and Chinese fantasy media.” International Journal of Asian Studies. 1-17. https://www.doi.org/10.1017/S1479591422000444
- Tan, Jia. 2022. “Platformized Seriality: Chinese Time Travel Fantasy from Prime-time Television to Online Streaming.” Global Storytelling: Journal of Digital and Moving Images 2(1): 57-85. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3998/gs.2663.
- Tan, Jia. 2022. “Decolonizing Hong Kong Television: Decolonial Vernaculars and the History of RTHK” in Reorienting Hong Kong’s Resistance: Leftism, Decoloniality, and Internationalism, edited by Wen Liu, JN Chien, Christina Chung and Ellie Tse, 139-151. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Tan, Jia. 2019. “Networking Asia Pacific: Queer Film Festivals and the Spatiotemporal Politics of Inter-referencing.” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 20, no. 2: 204-19.
- Tan, Jia. 2018. “Transpacific Inter-Referencing.” BC Studies: The British Columbian Quarterly 198 (Summer): 20-22.
- Tan, Jia. 2017. “Digital Masquerading: Feminist Media Activism in China.” Crime, Media, Culture 13, no. 2: 171-86. DOI: 10.1177/1741659017710063.
- Tan, Jia. 2017. “Aesthetics of Queer Becoming: Comrade Yue and Chinese Community-based Documentaries Online.” In Queer Technologies: Affordances, Affect, Ambivalence, edited by Katherine Senders and Adrienne Shaw, 38-52. New York: Routledge (reprint).
- Tan, Jia. 2017. “Beijing Meets Hawaii: Reflections on ku’er, Indigeneity, and Queer Theory.” GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies 23, no. 1: 137-50. DOI: 10.1215/10642684-3672429.
- Tan, Jia. 2016. “Aesthetics of Queer Becoming: Comrade Yue and Chinese Community-based Documentaries Online.” Critical Studies in Media Communication 33, no. 1: 38-52. DOI: 10.1080/15295036.2015.1129064.
- Tan, Jia. 2015. “Toward a Spatiotemporal Consciousness in Media Studies: Locational Aesthetics and Digital Filmmaking in China’s Special Zones.” Journal of Chinese Cinemas 9, no. 3: 187-203. DOI:10.1080/17508061.2015.1067992.
- Tan, Jia. 2015. “Neoliberalized Romantic Encounter: If You Are the One and the Gender Politics of Chinese Reality TV.” Router: A Journal of Cultural Studies 20 (Spring): 79-102. (in Chinese)
- Tan, Jia. 2014. “Provincializing the Chinese Mediascape: Cantonese Digital Activism in Southern China.” In China’s iGeneration: Cinema and Moving Image Culture for the Twenty-First Century, edited by Matthew D. Johnson, Keith B. Wagner, Kiki Tianqi Yu, and Luke Vulpiani, 197-211. New York: Bloomsbury.
- Tan, Jia. 2020. “Rewriting Cold War Film History: Kira Muratova and Her Films.” Cinezen Hong Kong. 重寫冷戰時期電影史：琪拉．穆拉托娃和她的電影
[ link | pdf ]
- Tan, Jia. 2017. “Book Review of Queer Marxism in Two Chinas by Petrus Liu.” Modern Chinese Literature and Culture, June.
[ link | pdf ]